Friday, July 25, 2008

You're so siwy.

A dear friend of mine and I joke about the words our families say incorrectly. Though we started saying them incorrectly on purpose, now we forget and just say them incorrectly all the time. Jalapenos/fajitas pronounced phonetically (ju-lapinos). Excavate instead of evacuate. Chahooahooa instead of Chihuaua (you know, the dog). We're often making fun of someone else saying it this way, but the jokes on us when we say it to people who don't know the back story--such as waiters! I could be setting the kids up for a lifetime of this because there are some words I don't want them to say correctly: breafix, aminals... I need to keep a running list because I'm already forgetting them.

No one says Techix (Texas) or sketty (spaghetti) or Bobby (Mommy) or mooulk (milk) or airplaneport anymore, and I miss it.

I guess they have to grow up eventually. I may miss the funny words, but I'll be damn glad when no one calls me to wipe a bottom or pour a glass of juice.

No comments: