Thursday, October 16, 2008

Ah, shopping.

I took a mental health day today. Went to a psychiatrist for the first time. My dean recommended him and got me in the door because he's not currently accepting new patients. (Connections really are everything.) At the end of our meeting, he dictated into a little recorder for his staff to create my chart. His dictation included a long list of characteristics about me including "no impulsive buying." Which of course made me laugh. He clicked the recorder off and asked, "Impulsive buying?"

"Well," I said, "it depends on who you ask. I like to shop. It's fun. It lifts my spirits."

"How much?" he asked.

"Not much. A hundred here, a hundred there. I like shoes."

"Oh," he said." that's nothing. Shopping makes me feel better too. I like to buy shirts."

That cinched it. I like this guy! Carter, of course, is skeptical.

Do you think I can get a prescription for shopping? My co-pay would go a long way right now. Everything is on sale. I know this because I spent several hours at the mall today. Got some great deals, and believe it or not, didn't buy a single pair of shoes.

j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious! Glad you are getting your shopping "fix" - there is NOTHING wrong with that. Everyone needs their personal outlet...still working on what my "1" is - it is ever changing - shopping, exercising, pampering...the list goes on and on.... Mel