Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Last of the burgers.

Last week was rather eventful for us. I had to call the plumber to come out twice to fix the problem with sewage backing up into our yard despite having paid him time-and-a-half to fix it the Friday evening before. I knocked a metal curtain rod down on my face, which left a large purple goose egg on my forehead, blue streaks under my eyes, and the top of my nose three times its size. And, I read a horrible description of the living and dying conditions of the animals we eat and decided to become a vegetarian.

There are many really bad things going on in the world that I try to just not think about, and chicken farms and slaughter houses are in my top five. But when faced with it head-on, I decided I had an obligation to quit eating meat. I have family and friends who are vegetarians, and when I've thought about the idea of becoming one, I've always thought, "I couldn't possibly give up meat altogether. I actually crave steaks, hamburgers, and Chick-fil-a." I was wrong. With some things, I think we all just rise to the challenge. (If someone had explained to me in detail the challenges of infants, I wouldn't have thought I could do that either!)

So this week had an exciting beginning: Gumbo is allowed in his sewage-free backyard, my nose and forehead are shrinking and are now only a pail yellow, and I, in my little way, am making the world a better place. Plus—the painters will be here this afternoon to paint the doors Humble Gold. Woo hoo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer- I just wanted to send you a note to say thank you for the girls half birthday presents. They really liked the cups and fill them up every night to go to bed. Thanks for thinking of them. Cullen and Griff are so excitted about visiting you guys. Have a fantastic weekend. Thanks again. Amy

Anonymous said...

chstsio