Friday, May 2, 2008
Just so you know.
I'm working on eliminating plastic bags from our house for the sake of the environment, but what I'm really concerned about are the plastics that can affect the kids' reproductive health, cause cancer, affect memory, and disrupt endocrine function. Plastic marked with #7 is the bad stuff. Don't use it. Canada is working to ban it from baby bottles and formula containers (the lining of the cans) by next year. Our government is also trying to outlaw bisphenol A, or BPA, the hormone-like ingredient in #7 plastics. It's also used as the lining in many aluminum cans and food cans (so put down that Coke can and don't eat acidic things, such as tomatoes, packaged in cans). Also, don't reuse water bottles (or anything marked with #1) because they begin leaking carcinogens after the first use. I don't like the idea of big government any more than the next guy, but I want someone doing a better job of protecting us!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I might have to stop reading your blog....I am so glad I do not know all the things you know. I am not sure I would leave the house- or I guess now our house with plastic is not safe!
Thanks for keeping us safe!
I ended up going with the Playtex drop-ins-style bottles for Stuart after reading about the BPA issue. In retrospect, I wish I had gone for one of the "greener" brands, since now I'm tossing out basically a formula condom every time I feed him. (Gross imagery, but you know what I mean.) I'm working my way through the J&J bath products and am going to start segueing him to more natural products overall--and solid foods should be interesting. I'm going to *try* to steam his fruits and vegetables rather than buying the million bottles.
Post a Comment