Saturday, October 11, 2008

Damn acorns.

I have been exhausted the last few days though I've been in bed for my usual 7 or so hours. Last night I realized why. Acorns. Falling from my trees, rolling down the roof directly over my head, and landing on the deck. Who knew a little acorn could be so freakin' loud. They wake me up all night long. And not the kind of waking up where you just roll over and go back to sleep. The kind where your heart starts racing as you're jarred out of sleep by a strange sound. I'm thinking that the days are numbered for that tree hanging over my bedroom. I'd take it out with my bare hands right this minute except that it's a huge, towering oak tree. Damn it!

I wanted to write about my family this morning. But one of my family members who woke me up at 5 a.m. and is still yammering away behind me is making it very difficult for me to recount all the warm fuzzy feelings I was feeling yesterday. Aack! It's often like that though, isn't it. I go from one day of wanting to just gobble up those children—from kissing them on their heads a hundred times a day so that I can drink in their smell—to the next day of wanting to wring their little necks. Sigh. I imagine in just moments, this little one flooding me with his stories of airplanes and baseball will do something to melt me again. Until then, I'll just nod my head and feign complete fascination with how his airplane is disguising itself as a duck and is about to crash into a house. Maybe if I close my eyes for just a moment, he won't even notice I've drifted off to sleep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you again - I needed my fix! My advice for the acorns...LOUD FANS!! It is my only "true" sleep aid. As for the 5am wake up, it is good to know my kids aren't the only ones who won't sleep in on WEEKENDS!! Keep writing - I miss you! Mel

JRH said...

I'm still in the "worshipping the ground my baby crawls on" phase, but he *just* started getting really aggressive in his crawling this week, and I'm starting to go, "ACH!" I'm beginning to see a point in the future where he's going to make me crazy!

Scott said...

So, when I read this I immediately thought of

http://www.truveo.com/Pests-For-Guests/id/824749824

Too funny. P.S. Sorry to catch the blog late.

Scott